Step 2: License GS1 Single GTINs
Up until recently, the GS1 global standards required every company to license their own UPC Company Prefix. Your company prefix essentially identifies you as the manufacturer throughout the entire product supply chain. Companies were required to automatically license a prefix for a minimum of 10 UPCs (GTINs). Smaller companies, with only a few products, were forced to pay a lot of money for UPCs they did not need. Consequently, GS1 finally offered a solution for small companies to license single GTINs which still reflect their company in the supply chain, without licensing a UPC Company Prefix.
- Economical solution for new companies with only a few products
- No Renewal Fees!
- GS1 provides the GTIN assignment(s) directly to you.
- Digital .eps barcode provided immediately
- Both a brand and product description are identified in the GS1 Global Database so retailers/marketplaces, such as Amazon, can verify ownership.
UPCs with Company Prefix vs. GS1 Single UPCs
A unique GS1 (UPC) Company Prefix is the building block for most companies to assign UPCs to their products. Unlike arbitrarily assigned individual GS1 US UPCs (above), the UPCs available with licensed Company Prefix all begin with the same beginning numbers.
- Unique UPC Company Prefix only identifies only your company
- Cost-effective for companies with over 9 products
- Company Prefix and UPCs (GTINs) registered in GS1 Database
Certain industries, product types, trading partners, and applications require a brand licensed UPC Company Prefix and single GS1 US UPC barcodes should not be used. The following are a few examples;
- Medical devices and pharmaceutical products
- Variable measure products (i.e. produce, small hardware parts, wholesale ingredients)
- Coupon Use – The GS1 Databar Coupon barcode requires brand-specific Company Prefix
- Products packed in mixed cases – Certain industries and retailers require suppliers to pack multiple product types in inner/outer packaging – Click Here For More Information
A company can start with single GS1 GTINs and later license a UPC Company Prefix. The standards management portal enables companies to mix different types of GTIN assignments. Your GS1 Barcode Consultant can assist determining the most economical strategy to meet your company’s needs.
The UPC/GTIN management and barcode creation is very challenging for new companies. The comprehensive GS1 Barcode Service facilitates the entire process to easily manages GTIN/UPC information and create barcodes. At the end of this simple tutorial, you will be provided information on the GS1 Barcode Service.