GS1 Barcode Process Overview
This information website is provided by Bar Code Graphics provides the step by step processes a company need to take to get UPC barcodes on their products. GS1 is the global organization, which establishes identification standards for various industries (i.e. retail, healthcare) and licenses unique GS1 Company Prefixes. The first part of every UPC consists of this GS1 Company Prefix. If your company plans to sell products to medium/large retailers and Amazon, obtaining a GS1 Company Prefix is the first step towards identifying your products with UPC barcodes.
LICENSE a GS1 Company Prefix:
- GS1 Company prefix is unique licensed to your company (brand owner)
- The license is for one year and there are annual renewals
- Prefix length and cost is determined by the number of items requiring UPCs
- There are specific industry rules for assigning GTIN assignment.
- GS1 has GTIN Management Standards. Click Here
- In the US, the GS1 license includes access to Data Hub tool to manage UPC data.
- GS1 US offers training webinars to learn how to use Data Hub
- Webinar cost is $79
- Click here to view available training webinars
- Certain retailers require GTIN-14 barcode case markings
create upc barcodes:
- The GS1 General Specifications provides instructions to create barcodes
- Items which do not yet have printed packaging or labels require digital files
- Only high precision vector based files format (i.e. .EPS)
- Printed barcode labes are used for items and packaging already printed
- GS1 provides guidelines on required quality control processes to print barcodes
GS1 standards enable companies to properly identify their products so they can be sold in stores worldwide and online. The GS1 Barcode Service includes one-on-one support from an assigned consultant who facilitates the entire process of obtaining GS1 Company Prefixes (when necessary), UPC/GTIN management, and marking your items with compliant GS1 barcodes. In addition, verified printed barcode labels and/or high resolution digital barcode files (.eps) are included.
|Number of Items||GS1 License||GS1 UPC Service||Total Fee||Included Barcodes|
|1 -10||$250||$150||$400||10 files||SELECT|
|1 – 100||$750||$250||$1,000||100 files||SELECT|
|1 – 1,000||$2,500||$1,000||$3,500||$1,000 credit||SELECT|
|1 – 10,000||$6,500||$2,000||$8,500||$1,500 credit||SELECT|
|1 – 100,000||$10,500||$2,500||$13,000||$2,000 credit||SELECT|